There’s a Reason You Shouldn’t Feed Your Dog Grapes, and It’s Very Scary

Photo credit: Alona Rjabceva – Getty Images When you’re a dog lover, it’s hard not to want to share everything with your pup, be it a favorite recliner or favorite food. Although there are some human foods that pets can eat safely in moderation , there is one item in particular that you should never feed your dog .

According to the American Kennel Club (AKC), grapes are highly toxic to dogs , and eating them can lead to acute, and possibly fatal, kidney failure. In fact, grapes and raisins are listed third behind over-the-counter and prescription medication in the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center’s (ASPCC) list of the top 10 animal toxins of 2018 . It is not exactly known what about grapes causes kidney failure, but research has shown that many dogs who get sick from eating the fruit never recover.

A study published in the Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine found that of 43 dogs who developed renal failure after ingesting grapes or raisins, only 53% survived. Researchers also found that kidney failure was not limited to any particular dog breed or gender, and was present in dogs who consumed as little as 1.5 oz. of grapes.

Dr. Tina Wismer, Medical Director of the APCC explained on the ASPCA website that because there is no way of knowing which dogs will develop kidney failure , it’s important to get immediate medical treatment for your pet if you suspect they’ve ingested any grapes or raisins. Symptoms of intoxication, according to the AKC, include vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, lethargy, abdominal tenderness, and changes in thirst and urination.

(‘You Might Also Like’,)

Tags:

Click Here to Continue...


Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *